Thursday, October 14, 2010

10/15 Assignment


Here are some interesting websites I found for our assignment.  I tried to pick websites we haven’t talked about in class and ones that even I hadn’t heard of before! I came across some interesting stuff that I wish I would have known about earlier, it could have added to some discussions we’ve had in class!  Oh well, hopefully it will relate to something else later.

FOURSQUARE.COM: An interesting website and Smartphone app which connects people with their communities and local businesses.  The app actually claims that it “makes cities easier to use and more interesting to explore.” I thought this site/app was really interesting because it could really change someone’s perspective on a city!  I think it would be especially useful to someone who moved to a new city.  It seems like this concept is widely available on the Internet already... getting coupons for or reviews of restaurants isn’t that difficult to do on the Internet.  However, this app definitely makes that easier and more interactive. The article relates this website to a specific community and business and how the website was used to promote business.



WHYVILLE.COM: This is a website I have explored and talked about for another class of mine, Educational Psychology.  We talked about how using the internet and technology is emerging in the classroom and what effect that has on education.  Whyville is an interactive website aimed toward Elementary school aged kids.  Many of the games are learning-based and the website is used in schools as a learning activity.  The article discusses how video games are useful to learning in more ways than just being a learning activity.  I used whyville as an example because I assumed it was a site most people were not already familiar with but we could also talk about this article in terms of other video games. 



SWIPELY.COM: (I recommend watching the short video tutorial) I had never heard of swipely before this assignment.  I was actually looking up an article about e-bay when I found an article about this site.  I read the article before checking out the site and at first I thought it was really strange!  The article made it sound like this was something automatic that happened every time you swiped your card... the tutorial then said that you get to choose which ‘swipes’ you share so I’m still a little confused about exactly how you share.  Another thing I wondered about the site... what about those of us who still value cash??? Sounds like we can’t join in on the fun on this one!  Interesting site connecting the Internet to everyday life...  I also thought it was interesting to compare and contrast this site to online retailers like EBAY.COM and AMAZON.COM.  The article also has some interesting perspective on how the site is being used/ can be used and some interesting features of the site:

No comments:

Post a Comment